Feel free to bash on Catalyst 6500 based on this post as well, I know there are plenty of you who like to complain about this old work horse 😀 On the other hand, there are also plenty of us who run existing installations and designs and still see Cat6500 routing in the network very strong. I’ll happily consider whatever is the best choice for my next assigned case. I’ll see that then. Now, to the point of this post.
On 15-Oct-2012 Cisco released the IOS 15.1SY for Catalyst 6500 series switches. The first release is 15.1(1)SY, “a.k.a. Mount Abbot 2 (MA2.0) Release” as mentioned in the software download site:
15.1(1)SY is based on 15.0(1)SY2 and 12.2(33)SXJ3.
15.1SY is supported on both Sup720 and Sup2T supervisor modules. Previously released SY versions 12.2SY and 15.0SY were only supported on Sup2T.
See the Release Notes for Cisco IOS Release 15.1SY for more information on the supported hardware and features.
On the 12.2SX train the latest releases seem to be 12.2(33)SXJ4 and 12.2(33)SXI10 at the moment.
If you are really interested in the IOS releases and support for Catalyst 6500 you should also be aware of these documents:
- End of extended maintenance: December 31, 2013
- End of critical maintenance: September 30, 2015
- End of extended maintenance: September 13, 2012 (= already gone)
- End of critical maintenance: September 13, 2014
- End of support: August 31, 2017
- (It is already End of extended maintenance, End of sale, and End of critical maintenance. End of support will be in March 2016.)
- End of extended maintenance: October 2013
- End of critical maintenance: April 2014